Environmental Technician Summer Student: (2) POSITIONS (with the possibility of a third pending funding)
***Must be aged 15-30 years old, a registered student in the previous academic year and returning to school in the fall of 2018 to be eligible for student funding.
Environmental Technician Summer Student
Natural Edge Coordinator & Love Your Lake Coordinator
LENGTH OF CONTRACT:
Minimum (2) months with additional length pending funding.
The successful applicants will contribute to the stewardship and outreach work at Watersheds Canada by working to raise landowner awareness of water stewardship principles and environmental impacts on the lakes within the area. Working with partners, organizations and individuals, the Environmental Technician Student is responsible to assist in the delivery of both our Natural Edge and Love Your Lake Programs. This will include field work focusing on carrying out shoreline naturalizations and shoreline assessments. The student will assist in naturalizing shorelines by planting native trees and shrubs, conducting site visits at shoreline properties, assessing shoreline properties, entering data, as well as delivering workshops and presentations.
- Undertake administrative duties necessary for the execution of field work, including documentation of activities and reporting
- Promote our programs and engage new landowners in shoreline naturalization projects
- Deliver stewardship, outreach and education based programming
- Represent the project, the proponent and partners at local fairs, AGMs and other environmental events
- Assist in the distribution of information packages and surveys to residents of our target lakes
- Assist with landowner site visits including data collection and entry.
- Assist in the delivery of our shoreline naturalization program including landowner solicitation and planting
- Solicit information from residents, attendees of local events, etc., that may contribute to data collection activities (surveys and evaluations)
- Help organize and deliver workshops and presentations on both our programs and habitat creation topics
- Caring for native plants including watering and maintenance
- Conduct fieldwork, analyze data and interpret results
- Submit accurate and up-to-date field records for continued data analysis and reporting
- Enter data into a secure database for reporting
- Support other project components and staff as assigned by the management
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Some local travel, evening, and weekend work is required
Some College or University, with preference given to those with a specialization in Natural Resource Management, Communications, Environmental Studies/Science or Biology
None required, however preference will be given to those with some experience in the conservation and/or non-profit sector(s)
- Ability to identify both native and invasive flora and fauna
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and engagement of the public
- Excellent written and oral communication, in English.
- Proven multi-tasking skills in a fast-paced environment, completing projects within time constraints
- Computer skills with proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Publisher, Access, and Outlook
- Ability to work both independently and in a team enviornment
- Proven high level of motivation and initiative
- Experience using ArcGIS software and portable GPS units
- Prior experience with fieldwork is a strong asset
- Comfortable working on and around water
- High attention to detail for recording field data and generating reports
- Ability to complete projects on time, within tight deadlines, and with limited supervision
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Valid Ontario Boating License
- Able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Some physical work, therefore ability to carry up to 50lbs is an asset
- Must be aged 15-30 years old, a registered student in the previous academic year and returning to school in the fall of 2018 to be eligible for student funding.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by April 17th, 2018 to: email@example.com